The following is a list of individuals that may have unique roles. It is local decision as to whether these individuals within PAETEP are treated as teachers or nonteaching professionals.
Autistic, MDS and Life Skills
Behavior Specialist Teachers
Career and Technical Education Teachers
Early Childhood Teachers
Emotional Support Teachers
English as a Second Language Teachers
Gifted Education Teachers
Learning Support Teachers
Speech and Language Pathologist Teachers*
Teachers of Students Who are Blind or Visually Impaired
Teachers of Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
According to Act 13...
- Classroom Teacher is defined as a professional employee or temporary professional employee who provides direct instruction to students related to a specific subject or grade level.
- Nonteaching Professional is defined as an educational specialist or professional employees or temporary professional employees who provide services and who is not a classroom teacher.
- Based on the definitions listed above, LEAs should decide whether a teacher with a unique role is treated as classroom teacher or nonteaching professional. Note - According to PDE, the two-pronged approach is no longer a factor under Act 13.
- Classroom Teachers - Professionals that are determined to be classroom teachers should be given the Teacher role within PAETEP. The Teacher role allows the professional to be evaluated within PAETEP using a Formal Observation and/or Differentiated Observation.
- Nonteaching Professionals - Professionals that are determined to be nonteaching professionals should be given the NTPE and NTPE Other role within PAETEP. The NTPE and NTPE Other role allows the professional to be evaluated within PAETEP using a NTPE Observation, Formal Observation, and/or Differentiated Observation.
- Regardless of whether a user is given the role of Teacher or NTPE/NTPE Other within PAETEP, the associated evaluation framework will be the one for Teachers as discipline specific frameworks for the professionals listed above are not provided by PDE under Act 13.