This article is intended to provide additional guidance for District Administrators with the School District Admin role in PA-ETEP when managing users and their roles. Role management is important to ensuring PA-ETEP users have the appropriate access rights to the tools found within the system.
There are 5 basic roles for certified educators within PA-ETEP:
- NTPE (Non-Teaching Professional Educator) and associated sub-roles
NTPE Supervisor* - Used with NTPE Supervisors to allow the supervision of Teachers and non-supervisory NTPEs, Paraeducators, and Support Staff.
- Building Principal* - This role is given to any Principals and Assistant Principals. Can supervise Teachers, NTPEs, Paraeducators, and Support Staff
- School District Admin - This role is typically given to the Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, and any other user that needs to manage the district's portal. Can supervise Teachers, NTPEs, Paraeducators, Support Staff, Support Staff Supervisors, NTPE Supervisors, and Principals.
*If given the building lead designation via the assignments tab, these users can then supervisor their peers. NTPE Supervisors with this designation can supervisor other NTPE supervisors and any support staff supervisors. Principals with this designation can supervisor other Principals and any support staff supervisors.
For those clients that have added the Custom Form module and signed an amendment to include and evaluate their support staff within PA-ETEP, the following basic roles are used.
- Support Staff (e.g., administrative assistants, custodians, maintenance, food service, etc.)
- Support Staff Supervisor (e.g., maintenance supervisor, food service supervisor, etc.)
Registered User and Subscriber Roles - The system will always require that users have these two system roles, which are automatically assigned at user creation. Do not remove these roles.
Note - User roles are managed via the Administration --> User Accounts tab.
Understanding Role Configuration
Some roles within PA-ETEP are stand alone roles and some roles need to be combined with other roles to give the user the correct access.
Stand Alone Roles
- Building Principal
- CTC Director
- School District Admin
- Support Staff
- Support Staff Supervisor
NTPE Role and Sub-Roles
The NTPE (Non-Teaching Professional Educator) role is always used in conjunction with another sub role.
NTPE Non-Supervisors - If a user is an NTPE non-supervisor, then the NTPE role must be combined with one of the following NTPE non-supervisory sub roles.
Elementary School Counselor
Home School Visitor
Instructional Tech Specialist
Mental Health Treatment Specialist
Mental Health Worker
Physical Occupational Therapist
Secondary School Counselor
Speech Language Pathologist
Note - The NTPE Other role for non-supervisors is an NTPE sub-role that can be used when one of the specific NTPE sub-roles do not apply or when the teacher role is deemed inappropriate.
NTPE Supervisors - If a user is an NTPE supervisor, then the NTPE role must be combined with one of the following NTPE supervisory sub roles AND the NTPE Supervisor Role. The NTPE Supervisor role allows an NTPE supervisor to perform evaluations and enter evidence for other non-supervisor NTPEs or Teachers
NTPE Other Supervisor
Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction
Supervisor of Pupil Services
Supervisor of Special Education
Supervisor of Vocational Education
Note - The NTPE Other Supervisor role can be used when one of the specific NTPE Supervisor roles (Supervisor of Special Education, Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction, Supervisor of Pupil Services, or Supervisor of Vocational Ed) do not apply. The NTPE Other Supervisor role uses the Framework for Leadership. To learn more click here.
PA-ETEP includes a self-registration system for teachers and NTPEs. It is recommended that teachers and non-supervisor NTPE users utilize the registration system to create a new account. PA-ETEP provides the following registration walkthrough video to help new users navigate the registration process: PA-ETEP User Registration Help Video
Note - Supervisory user accounts (School District Admin, Building Principals, NTPE Supervisors, and Support Staff Supervisors) must be created manually.
Manual Creation of a New User
- Select the appropriate stand alone role from the left within the Roles column.
- Click "Create User" in the top left-hand corner. Fill in all the fields, and select whether to notify the user of the account.
- Authorize the Account once it has been created. See the green box in the screenshot below:
- For all NTPE users, access the Roles tab and add the desired NTPE sub role as described above in the Understanding Role Configuration section.
Adding or Removing Roles from a User
Buildings are added to PA-ETEP under the Administration --> Buildings tab.